Provide funding to conduct a range of eligible assessment and cleanup activities at one or more brownfield sites in a target area. These multi-purpose grants (“MP” assessment and cleanup combination) are available up to $800,000.
MP grant recipients must complete at least one Phase II environmental site assessment, one cleanup, and an overall plan for revitalization. MP Projects that allocate at least 70% of grant funds for tasks directly related to site- specific work, including site assessments, remediation, and associated tasks (with at least $200,000 designated for tasks directly associated with site remediation) will be reviewed more favorably.
Community-Wide Applicants: Combined total up to $300,000, with a maximum of $300,000 for either hazardous substances or petroleum.
Assessment Coalition Applicants: Apply for up to $600,000 in hazardous substances or petroleum funding. There will be an expanded focus on conducting planning activities under Assessment grants.
*Existing EPA Brownfields Assessment grant applicants must demonstrate that 70% of funds has been drawn (by Jan 1, 2019) by attaching a copy of the ASAP financial record or general ledger entries.
Cleanup grant funding has been increased to $500,000 per site. Only one application per community!
*Brownfield sites where EPA Brownfields Cleanup Grant funds were previously expended may not receive additional Cleanup Grant funding in FY19.
NEW THIS YEAR
– Cover Letter is now the Narrative Information Sheet; it still needs to be on Applicant Letterhead
– 501(c)(3) organizations can apply for Assessment and MP grants (in addition to Cleanup grants, for which non-profits have historically been eligible to apply)
Notes about the Grant Application Narrative
– 10-page limit for Assessment and Cleanup grant applications
– 12-page limit for Multipurpose (MP) grant applications
– Four Ranking Criteria this year (decrease from five in previous years)
– No Community Support Letters, Demographic Table or Cumulative Environmental Issues Funding are needed
– No Specific apportionment of funding for Petroleum and Hazardous Substances
Coming Soon: EPA + National TAB Webinar
EPA will hold a webinar about these grants on December 11th.
National TAB webinar will be on December 18, 2018 11:30am Pacific (1:30pm Central). Links to register coming soon!
Additional resources for FY19 MAC Grant Applicants can be found at the Office of Brownfields and Revitalization website. These include:
– The FY19 Brownfields Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
– The Summary of Changes and Applicant Tips
– The Planning Program Fact Sheets